Since the appearance of video games, they have become a favorite past-time activity for a high number of people.
However, these days, due to the development of VR technology, video games are passed on to another level, providing immersive experiences and realistic scenarios.
Elite Dangerous is one of the games that captivated players of all ages, although owning a proper VR headset is a condition to get the most of what this game has to offer.
So, you may want to check this article and find out the best VR headset for the enjoyment of Elite Dangerous.
- 1 The Comparison Table of 10 Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous
- 2 Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous Reviews
- 3 Buying Considerations of Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous
- 4 FAQ’s of Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous
- 5 Conclusion
The Comparison Table of 10 Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous
What is the Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous?
There are quite a few aspects to consider when looking for a VR headset to suit your need for playing Elite Dangerous.
First of all, you need to decide upon the budget, setting the sum of money you’re willing to spend on such a gadget.
Then you should find a product that can provide great resolution, for high-quality images in VR, and is capable of behaving well and being highly functional throughout the gameplay.
So, the best VR headset for Elite Dangerous is the device that ticks most of your requirements, if not even all of them.
Why Oculus Rift is the Best Brand For Elite Dangerous?
When it comes to VR gaming, Oculus Rift provides some of the best gadgets that will enhance your gaming experiences.
This brand is among the favorites because it provides enhanced visuals, precise controllers that make you feel you’re truly into the game, comfortable and ergonomic design, and is suitable for a wide range of VR games.
Thus, it is easy to see why it is a top choice among VR gaming enthusiasts.
Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous Reviews
01. Oculus Rift S PC
According to the manufacturer, the Oculus Rift S is the most advanced version of the VR headset made by the brand. Thus, this product will offer a set of improvements, compared to previous versions.
To start with, it appears the display is improved, due to a new set of lenses, which provides brighter images and removes the so-called “screen-door” effect.
Those that tried the product already confirm that the visuals are better in the case of Rift S. another improvement worthy of consideration is the new touch controllers, which makes grabbing and throwing things within the gameplay feel much more realistic.
The best part about owning this product is that there’s no need to buy additional motion sensors, as they are already embedded in the headset.
This means you’re good to go as soon as you get the product shipped to your home.
However, this VR headset appears to be made for PC use and not with a laptop, even if the laptop claims to be “Oculus-ready”.
The lack of proper connectivity, like the absence of an HDMI port, can be a deal-breaker for most laptop users.
- Compatible with a wide range of VR games;
- Improved images with the help of top-notch lenses;
- Comfortable and ergonomic design, made to stay in place throughout the gameplay;
- Touch controllers that provide realistic sensations when playing the game;
- It takes every move of the user and puts it in the world of virtual reality;
- Features built-in motion sensors, so there’s no need to buy extra;
- High-quality images;
- Sensorial experiences feel more realistic;
- There might be issues in trying to use the VR headset with a laptop, as the product does not provide an HDMI port;
02. HTC Vive Cosmos Elite
HTC brings forward a VR headset that is just as comfortable as the famous Rift S while providing a crystal-clear display if you’re willing to spend a bit of time making the necessary adjustments.
However, this headset will cost slightly more than the product from Oculus, but it won’t require a Facebook or any other social media account for allowing the user to enjoy its benefits.
Thus, it may be worth paying more for it. Another great feature is lighthouse tracking, which enables the user to enjoy an enlarged playing area.
This means more comfort and convenience without the need to make additional purchases.
Also, this system provides certain upgrades that can be made in time to improve the playing experience.
It is worth mentioning the modularity of the product as well, as it makes switching to original Cosmos or other types of models in an easy and convenient manner.
- Offers playing space that can range up to 160 square feet, due to lighthouse tracking feature;
- New LCD panels reduce the “screen-door effect” by reducing the distance between pixels;
- The provided graphics are of the highest quality;
- Easy passing from reality to VR due to a convenient flip-up design;
- A VR system that can be used for more than just video games;
- It won’t require a Facebook account for using the device;
- The display provides crystal clear images;
- A high refresh rate for a smooth VR experience;
- The provided controllers are not great and might be annoying when playing certain games;
03. Samsung HMD Odyssey+ Windows Mixed Reality Headset
When it comes to providing crystal-clear images, Samsung has what it takes without a doubt. So, if you’re considering opting for this VR headset, you will be stunned by the quality and clarity of the images within the gameplay.
Another great advantage of the product is that it is extremely easy to set up, from a physical point of view, so you’ll be good to go in no time.
However, if you want to use the product with SteamVR, things are not that great or easy.
You will first need to download and install a software called Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR, which is free, and make the necessary adjustments.
The software will not make things perfect, but it will allow you to enjoy the headset with SteamVR in a decent manner.
Considering that the product is a bit more affordable than certain products, is easy to install, and comfortable to use, it is worth taking it into consideration.
With a bit of patience, you can make it rise to your expectancies and enjoy VR games in a pleasant and comfortable manner.
- Provides Samsung’s famous Amoled 3K display for clear images;
- Grants access to libraries for enjoying a wide array of games;
- Offers built-in microphone and headphones;
- Lighter and more comfortable headband;
- The LEDs have an auto-adjustment feature for the contract, revealing details even in dark backgrounds;
- Provides a 360-degree sound;
- Incredible image quality;
- Setting up the headset is extremely easy;
- Getting the headset to work with SteamVR takes a bit of effort, patience, and special software;
04. Oculus Rift + Touch Virtual Reality System
Compared with other VR headsets from Oculus, this option is more accessible in terms of price. However, this doesn’t mean the product will compromise on quality.
On the contrary, you will be surprised by the incredible images it can provide and the incredibly intuitive touch controllers, which make physical interaction almost like in real life.
So, don’t be surprised when you’ll feel the need to lean on virtual reality surfaces as your brain gets tricked by the images unrolling in front of the eyes, like a mind-blowing view from a mountain top.
Also, for the paid price, you’ll gain access to six VR games and several apps to enjoy with your headset.
To make the gadget work on your computer, you don’t need much, but you’ll have to pay attention to the requirements regarding graphics specifications, as you may need to upgrade.
But, if you’re a video game enthusiast, the graphics card won’t be an issue. The “screen door” effect will be noticeable, but don’t worry as it will be seen only when the screen is loading and not when you’re immersed in the gameplay, so it’s not such a big disadvantage.
- Great immersion into the VR world due to ultra-low-latency tracking;
- The controllers make physical interaction feel real in VR;
- The headset comes with access to six different titles for free;
- Graphics specifications should be respected for high-quality experiences;
- Can be used for VR movies and other VR experiences;
- Close-to-reality experiences;
- A rather accessible VR headset;
- Highly intuitive and ergonomic controllers;
- Setup can be quite tricky, requiring patience and some research;
05. Valve Index VR Full Kit
Anyone looking for the best VR kit money can buy should certainly have a closer look at this product. It is one of the best on the market, a statement based on its outstanding audio features and high-quality display.
However, it is also one of the most expensive options out there, so this can be frustrating if the budget is rather tight.
But, those that tried it say that it offers one of the best VR experiences available at the moment, due to the fast refresh rate of the product and high resolution.
Also, this product does not suffer from the “screen door” effect that can be noticed, more or less, in all the other products of the same group.
Not to mention that the users can adjust the lenses so that the headset provides precisely the kind of experience they’re looking to get.
And, another great advantage of this product is the incredible sound, provided by speakers rather than headphones.
But, despite this, the sound won’t be released into the room at all. Thus, if you can buy this headset, all it offers could justify its high price.
- Great quality images due to highly reduced space in between pixels;
- Provides high speed and accuracy to those that wish to experience VR to a different level;
- A good option for VR gaming enthusiasts and professionals that need VR in their work;
- Comfortable to wear, even during extended times of use;
- High-quality audio;
- The best kind of display a VR kit can offer;
- Controllers made to precisely track fingers;
- It is probably the most expensive option on the list, but it will provide high-quality VR if you have the budget for it;
06. Pimax 5K XR OLED VR
The whole purpose of VR is to make you feel like you’re living the real deal, whenever you’re using technology.
Because VR technology is all about visuals, the FOV provided by the selected headset counts to enjoying a proper immersion in your virtual universe.
More precisely, in comparison with other VR products that offer a 110-degree vision angle, this product provides a generous 200-degree angle, allowing you to see every detail better.
This way, it will be much easier to spot movements and get the enemies before they get you.
Another advantage is the large compatibility with VR content, allowing users to enjoy up to 95% of the VR content provided via Steam and Oculus Home.
Thus, you won’t need to spend money on an Oculus VR headset to get access to the best VR content.
Of course, some say this headset is not as great as an Oculus headset, but for the price tag, you get a good level of quality.
While it is not the most affordable piece of equipment on the market, you will appreciate the wide vision angle and 5K quality of the image.
However, first-time users of VR technology and inexperienced ones may have a hard time making the headset work, as it needs certain software and adjustments to be made.
- High-quality display without ghosting and smear effects;
- Provides a wide FOV, which is the closest to the human vision;
- Highly versatile and compatible with the majority of games on the market;
- Ergonomic and comfortable provides padding for the face and secure strap;
- It can be used with most prescription glasses;
- Great resolution and beautiful colors;
- Good contrast;
- Good quality for the price;
- The performances of the product are not at the highest standards;
07. HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset
This VR headset made and provided by HP promises to bring high-clarity images, a wide vision field, and great sounds at a rather accessible price tag.
It is also worth mentioning that the tracking of the device is very good, which will improve the VR experiences of the user.
All the tracking cameras are on board, so there’s no need to use external devices.
Although we are not talking about the so-called “retina resolution”, this VR headset is capable of providing a great display where details are easily noticed.
However, the display and lenses are not ideal but will offer a good level of quality considering the price and making of the product.
- High-class resolution for pristine images;
- No “screen door” effect to bother the gameplay;
- Provides powerful built-in audio;
- Controllers with a design similar to Oculus;
- Padded elastic bands that make wearing comfortable and easy to adjust;
- Good quality images for the price tag;
- The elastic bands allow convenient removal of the headset;
- It can be used with a keyboard and mouse when playing games;
- It is possible to experience a bit of inconsistency in the color and brightness of pixels across the screen;
08. VR Headset, Pimax 5K Plus
What’s the most annoying aspect of using a VR headset? If we ask most users, a narrow FOV and the “screen door” effect are certainly on the list of issues when trying to enjoy VR experiences at the highest standards.
This VR headset from Pimax is here to solve all these problems, by developing a headset capable of providing a whopping 200-degree FOV.
This way, it will be easy to make your brain believe that you’re living the real deal, which will certainly improve your VR experiences.
The provided images will be very clear and there will be no “screen door” effect to bother you at all.
This headset may not be the most comfortable option out there, but if you can about display quality and wish to enjoy a wider FOV, this headset will meet your expectancies.
However, make sure to check the specs regarding video hardware, as you won’t be able to get the most this headset has to offer if you’re current video hardware is not up to the challenge.
- Liquid crystal panels for an outstanding VR resolution;
- A very wide FOV, close to the real FOV of the human eye;
- Highly versatile, it is compatible with the majority of the VR games available on the market;
- Comfortable design that features face padding;
- A high refresh rate for an enjoyable immersion in the VR world;
- Extremely wide field of vision;
- Very good resolution and image clarity;
- Great price-quality ratio;
- It requires high-quality video hardware to take the pixels to the desired resolution, and even so the image may not be clear enough for some games;
Buying Considerations of Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous
How do you plan on using your VR headset? What kind of content you’re looking to enjoy?
While no one stops you from using a VR headset for more than just games, deciding how will you primarily use the device will help you decide upon the gadget that is most suitable for you.
If you are a video game enthusiast, then you will need a tethered VR headset, as they are more powerful and are made to be used with a PC or video game console.
This type of headset will provide everything you need to enjoy your favorite VR video games without a problem.
But, if you want to use a VR headset for other types of content, such as movies, tours, and others, or you’re new to VR technology, a headset made to be used with a smartphone could be a better option.
Of course, you could easily use a tethered VR headset for movies and tours whenever you please, not just for VR gaming sessions.
What kind of features are most important for you?
It is true that VR headsets are built mostly in the same manner. But, as you start researching your options, you will notice there are a few differences between them.
This leads to the matter of determining the list of most important features that should be provided by a VR headset. Are you looking to enjoy pristine images?
Would you like higher performance, more responsive and accurate controllers, or a higher degree of comfort?
It is hard to find a perfect VR headset, so it would be best to direct your attention toward a product that can provide what you need for satisfying VR experiences.
In general, users are looking to enjoy high viewing performances, which means high-quality images, a generous FOV, and the absence of a “screen door” effect, for as much as it is possible.
How much room do you have for playing?
Many people don’t consider this aspect, but the size of the room where you will play will determine the kind of virtual environments you’ll be able to access and enjoy.
To use a VR headset, you will need physical space in your house available for various movements. Then VR headsets require different space sizes, depending on their type and provided features.
Also, besides the features and accessories provided by a headset, you may need additional pieces of equipment, like a cable connected to a computer or console, which will impact space as well.
So, always take the available space you have for playing when selecting a VR headset. This will help you choose a gadget appropriate for your needs and available conditions.
How generous your budget is?
VR technology has become more affordable in recent times, compared to a while ago when it was quite difficult to spend the amounts of money requested by a VR headset.
However, this type of gadget is far from being in the affordable range, which makes it even more important to choose wisely, making sure you get the product that meets your desires and requirements best, without wrecking your budget or getting you into debt.
Even these days, powerful VR headsets that can deliver high-quality experiences are still quite expensive.
The good news is that today it is possible to enjoy VR experiences at decent price tags, with the help of VR headsets that offer decent features, quite similar to those provided by top-notch gadgets.
Again, you need to decide how you’re going to use the headset, what kind of content you’re looking to access, and how high you want the performances to be, before paying for such a piece of equipment.
Just like with everything else, quality costs when it comes to VR headsets as well.
FAQ’s of Best VR Headset For Elite Dangerous
Which VR headset is more suitable for Elite Dangerous?
If you want to enhance your experiences while playing Elite Dangerous, you can do so by upgrading your playing strategy with a VR headset.
This will allow you to dive deeper into the world of the game, making you feel like a real galaxy explorer.
When it comes to finding the best VR headset for Elite Dangerous, it depends very much on what you prefer when looking to use a VR headset.
The game is compatible with a wide range of VR headsets, so it is up to you in terms of money spent and desired features. Oculus Rift S is a good option, considering that it is not that expensive.
It provides good quality experiences not just when playing Elite Dangerous, but also with other VR games as well. However, you will need a Facebook account to be able to use the headset, so bear this in mind.
If this is inconvenient for you, you’ll need to direct your attention toward other products, like HTC Vive or Valve Index, which is more expensive.
Do I need to use a PC with a VR headset?
To avoid troubles and get the most a VR headset has to offer, it would be ideal to use the gadget with a PC, which should respect the specifications required by the VR headset you are about to purchase.
The video hardware is probably the most important component, together with the operating system of the PC. If these two are not suitable, the VR experiences will be poor or you won’t be able to use a VR headset.
It is possible to use a VR headset with a laptop as well, but it can be trickier since not all laptops are made to be used with VR technology.
It is possible to use VR headsets with smartphones also, but only if you buy a headset made to work with mobile devices. However, if you are a video game enthusiast, the PC remains the best option.
What is the highest quality VR headset my money can buy?
The answer to this question is debatable because personal preferences can step up into the scene. What some users consider important may not be that relevant to you, and the other way around.
In the end, it is all about how much money you’re willing to spend on a VR headset and what kind of features you’re looking for enjoying.
For example, in the best standalone VR equipment, Oculus Quest 2 was voted by users as the best, being available at approximately $300.
Those looking to enjoy a higher degree of flexibility and modularity should check out HTC Vive Cosmos, which can be found at around $700.
Those that have a more generous budget and wish to find a VR headset ideal for using with a PC could take a closer look at Valve Index, which has a price tag of around $1000 or more.
Do I need a special VR headset to make Elite Dangerous work in VR?
Those enjoying Elite Dangerous are not conditioned to buying a specific VR headset to get this game to work right in VR.
You can upgrade your gameplay to VR if you make the right adjustments to your PC and game settings and get a VR headset suitable for this type of game.
Considering that it’s a futuristic game that takes you around galaxies in a spaceship and uses a wide range of visual effects and graphics, a VR headset capable of offering a high-quality display and wide FOV could be of great use.
The performance of the headset will also make a difference, such as a fast refresh rate and precise controllers.
Thus, it is only recommended to check the specs of a VR headset before making a final decision, ensuring that it is what you need.
Considering that the price tags of VR headsets can vary a lot, it is worth checking both the product’s specifications and your list of requirements as well.
So, the first thing you need to do is to write down a list of features you want to find in a VR headset. Then, determine whether you can afford the headset that offers them all or you have to make a compromise.
All in all, you can find decent VR headsets that don’t cost a fortune, which will allow you to enjoy Elite Dangerous and other VR games better than you expected.